At ISA Service-Learning, we connect dedicated people looking to make a positive impact with over 20 diverse communities abroad. We have developed partnerships with over 100 non-profit, governmental and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) worldwide that have identified needs and projects to which you can volunteer your time and contribute your strengths. During your time abroad, we provide you with on-site staff and support to help you focus and reflect on your service-learning experience.
Learning by Reflection: ISA Service-Learning Portfolio
Learning does not happen as the result of an experience itself, but through intentional reflection upon an experience. Therefore, a vital part of service-learning is critical reflection through a guided curriculum. This is what distinguishes service-learning from community service and volunteering. Throughout the program, you will complete guided reflection assignments and activities, including Logs of Hours, a Weekly Journal, Reflective Essays, and Group Discussions. All of these components make up the ISA Service-Learning Portfolio, and serve as the ‘learning’ piece of your service-learning program. See the section on Academic Credit to see how you may be able to earn credit for participation in a service-learning experience and successful completion of the ISA Service-Learning Portfolio.
ISA Service-Learning programs are available to current students and recent graduates who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must have graduated high school by the start date of the service-learning program
- Must be at least 17 years old by the start date of the service-learning program
- Must have a minimum of 2.5 GPA or be able to provide an academic letter of recommendation and a statement of intent
- When applicable, participants must meet the minimum language requirement
- Eligibility for specific placements is determined by your resume, cover letter, and interview upon application.
For programs with language requirements, eligibility is determined through an oral language interview conducted by phone upon receipt of your completed application.